Monday, May 18, 2009

The Money Crunch


I guess it is a sign of the times. Money is tight. If the big bucks corporations are getting billions in bailout bucks, it was only a matter of time before that ripple effect hit the far corners of the world. Even here in Bermuda, a haven for the uber-rich, we are seeing the effects of a lack of funds. Having never had to worry about work in my life, I now find myself for the best part of four months... unemployed. Twenty five years in the work force has led me to the point where I'm seriously questioning decisions I have made the past few years. 

As with most, sacrifice are made. I don't expect it should carry on much longer, but until then it's going to be an irritant for me, and those who have lived with the benefits of my labour. Yes, it's a time to learn for my kids, who thought that daddy's wallet had an endless supply of cash and if not the ATM machine would easily fill it up. Oops... that isn't the case. With less and less opportunities in the employment sections of the newspapers, this is easily the most frustrating period of my life.

I'm not alone in this. More and more local companies are laying off people. Competition for jobs, once a problem other countries faced, is becoming more of an issue every day. Am I scared? Sure. I'm not 21, and have more responsibilities than I did back then. Gone are the days where I could do shifts, working 12 hour weekends and public holidays. It hasn't gotten to the point where I'm considering that, but who knows? I might just have to.

As I said, I'm not alone. It is the hardest time our generation has ever faced. We have always endured strains before. Hurricane season is coming as well. It is a perilous ledge we are perched upon. it would not be unrealistic to find that our financial crisis would be drastically deepened should we get a visit from something such as that. Our ability to recover, which has always been one of our strongest points, could be well and truly tested.

Gloom and Doom? Not yet.... not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment