Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Random Thoughts...

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." - Buddha



The Lane School zoning tribunal convenes this Friday. There is no doubt that this should be a black history museum. The location is the Salvation Army Citadel on North St. at 1:45 p.m. Come out and help support the cause.

Halloween is Saturday. Keep it real people and keep it safe. This is a kids day, and we should all remember that. There is always reason to be cautious, let's hope the knuckleheads don't lose their minds. The dangers are many, so please take all the proper precautions.

Hurricane season is almost over. It's been unusually quiet the past couple of years, wonder if it's got anything to do with the global planet changes. It's time to pay attention people. Our world is going to hell in a hand-basket temperature wise. Recycle, re-use and remember to re-fill those ink and toner cartridges (shameless plug).

Lot's of talk on several boards about homosexuality. I'm not going to go overboard on this, so I'll just say that HUMAN RIGHTS should always be our number one fight. I'm not going to debate people on the issues of morality, but please remember, without human rights we have no debate. Freedom is a gift best used wisely. Live, love and learn!

A follow up on my post regarding Softball. Our ladies have travelled to the Bahamas, and it was a pleasure to see them off. I wish them all the luck. I told them Sunday morning that to have come this far is a victory in itself and that they should all be proud of their accomplishment. Win or lose they will do us proud I'm sure. As for the suspended pair, they have travelled with the team, but probably will be relegated to spectator level. The Bermuda Amateur Softball Association will always strive to do the right thing, and as such we will hold a SGM (special general meeting) on Nov. 17th. All those interested should please come out and get involved. We have exciting plans for the upcoming year (2010) and we need all the help we can get!

CURB held their AGM recently. Kudos to all those elected, including our amazing president Lynne Winfield who is now in Tanzania doing the Diaspora thing. Next year it's back in Bermuda and we should get it back on the front burner. Special mention goes to Dr. Eva Hodgson who has been given an honorary lifetime membership to our Central Council. Her wisdom and expertise in fighting racism in Bermuda is legendary, and while many people may not be able to find her candor appetizing, it has long been a staple for us and we are so proud to share in her brilliance!

Finally, my daughter turned 15 this weekend. I can't begin to tell you how amazing she is, or for that matter how old I feel. She is turning into quite a lady and as she presses on with her GCSE examinations this year, I know that she will do her best! I was also really happy to have her help me out with the Youth Softball Development League on Saturday. It's nice that a dad can share a sport with his kids (boys and girls) and as my kids have spent so much time with me at the Mike Preece Stadium (Bernard's Park) I look forward to spending a lot more time with them there! Happy Birthday Rachel... I love you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment